About the Organization
The Global Business Coalition for Education (GBC-Education) is a movement of businesses committed to ending the global education crisis and unleashing the potential of future generations.
Established in 2012 by the global children’s charity Theirworld, GBC-Education is a New York-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that leverages the collective power of business, government, NGOs, and today’s youth to achieve the goal of education and opportunity for all.
With a network of more than 150 influential private sector companies committed to best practice in supporting education, GBC-Education has become one of the world’s most effective forums for connecting businesses that aim to make an impact on the lives of young people through education.
We’re looking for an experienced all-around communications strategist and implementer who is ready to roll up their sleeves and play an integral part in a small team delivering big impact to address the global education crisis. The individual will have strong project management skills, be a quick-thinker, clear communicator, and seasoned writer with a knack for building partnerships to leverage brand visibility.
GBC-Education is seeking a full-time Senior Communications Manager to be based in New York City. The ideal candidate for this role is someone who is passionate about the importance of education and wants to leverage strategic communications to achieve education for all. The position will oversee the communications strategy, media and press relationships, marketing, promotion of reports and events, and digital communications, including social media.
The majority of the Senior Communications Manager’s work week will be dedicated to forging connections with our business partners, increasing GBC-Education’s visibility at trade conferences and other venues, and collaborating with various stakeholders to advance our vision and mission. The role also involves managing GBC-Education’s brand, serving as a brand custodian to expand brand recognition, and attracting more partners from the global business community. The Senior Communications Manager will engage with an in-house digital team (who report to the Head of Digital Communications), manage a group of media and communications freelancers, and have the potential to hire an additional in-house team member.
The candidate must have excellent writing and editing skills, strong management skills, attention to detail, ability to multitask, and proven organizational skills. The role will suit someone that is well-organized, efficient, and who thrives in drawing connections between various aspects of our work and distilling complex issues into clear and effective messages for a global audience.
Key tasks will include:
- Building and implementing a GBC-Education communications strategy
- Identifying, fostering, and executing brand partnerships with coalition business partners, trade publications and conferences, and other stakeholders.
- Bringing the strategy to life through a communications plan, which includes activities across all digital channels (website, social media, email with the support of other in-house team members and consultants) as well as earned and promoted media to advance our priority issues.
- Serving as the brand custodian for GBC-Education so that partners and collaborators can amplify the organization’s mission and vision.
- Engaging with in-house social media and digital marketing team members to design and publish digital content for online platforms and maintain the organization’s website.
- Managing freelancers on bespoke communications campaigns.
- Engaging with our staff and membership to deploy strategic communications to advance organizational priorities.
- Engaging our corporate spokespeople (e.g., representatives from member companies) in strategic communications.
- Identifying new channels for communication and media partnerships.
- Drafting stories, press releases and articles for the website and other uses.
- Developing press releases and working with journalists / press organizations to disseminate information regarding reports, events, announcements, etc.
- Creating event materials (e.g., one-pagers, invitations, briefing notes, website content, etc.) to be distributed prior to and during GBC-Education’s events.
- Working with companies and research partners in producing and finalizing reports and communications plans.
- Monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of GBC-Education’s communications.
The successful candidate will have direct communications experience in corporate philanthropy; social responsibility; purpose; environmental, social, and governance; or a related field. Experience with international development or education is a plus.
The candidate will be able to:
- Develop and execute a communications strategy.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and Chair in their roles as organizational spokespersons.
- Lead, supervise and implement the delivery of a communications strategy with 3-5 in-house and freelance team members.
- Have strong writing and editing skills.
- Have good project management skills.
- Forge positive relationships with industry partners.
- Understand and successfully work with press, media, and social media.
- Foster a sense of team spirit among internal and external stakeholders.
- Engage with external corporate and philanthropic audiences.
- Have strong interpersonal skills.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
At the Global Business Coalition for Education, we value all types of learning – both formal as well as through professional and lived experience. An advanced degree in Communications or related fields is preferred, but not required. The ideal candidate will have 5-10+ years of experience in directing/managing communications, brand management, content marketing, or in a related field.
|Equipment to be Used:||Personal computer and other office equipment.|
|Typical Physical Demands:||Manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment.|
|Typical Mental Demands:||Able to deal with stress associated with fast-paced work environment. Multiple priorities/tasks. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.|
|Working Conditions:||Works in a typical office setting. This role requires the ability to work in the New York City office at least 1 day per week per institutional policy. Occasionally called upon to work hours in excess of your normal daily schedule.|
|Annual Salary Range:||The anticipated base salary range for this position is $75,000 to $125,000. Exact salary depends on several factors such as experience, skills, and education. In addition, the Global Business Coalition for Education offers a variety of benefits to eligible employees, including health, dental and vision insurance coverage, transit benefits, in-house training, retirement savings plans, paid sick leave, paid holidays and vacation time, and many others. In 2023 the organization is trialing a four-day work week to improve productivity and promote a health work-life balance for its team members.|
Interested candidates should submit resume and salary requirement to:
[email protected] by January 3, 2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include your last name and the position title in the subject line
The Global Business Coalition for Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The organization’s success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, colour, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran’s status, or any characteristic protected by law. We adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
The Global Business Coalition for Education provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, including in the application and interview process.
Qualified candidates only. No search firms.